RSS Feed

Start and Stop poetry

May 29, 2013 by mmurnane   

This week in literacy, the students have been writing Start and Stop poems – inspired by the work of Corbett Harrison.  Macka’s is written below, and I will be adding links to other students writing, over the next few days. In writing poems in this style, we are learning to use imagery, similes, metaphors (see below) to enhance our writing.

……….the goal of the writer should be to include enough details in between the two repeating lines so that a reader might just not remember the last line of the poem is a repeat of its first line unless they go back and look carefully. A good Start & Stop Poem, I always say, also requires a second poetic tool (simile, metaphor, rhyme, onomatopoeia, personification, alliteration, imagery etc.) to fill in those details.” Corbett Harrison

Inside a book

there is another world

another place

where anything can happen

where everything happens

where magic comes to life

and you put your differences aside 

and it all happens

inside a book

MacKenzie Ewings – year 5

Check out these fabulous Start and Stop poetry from some of our other students:

Maddy T  Connor S  Hannah S  Daisy O’K  Ava McK  Shelden B  Jarrod A  Jessie Rose  Olivia A  Max A  Lochie C   Milly McG

4 Comments »

1. Meg says:

Wow that’s a great poem I Can’t wait to try one

2. Margi Murnane says:

You will really enjoy it Meg – and you’ll be amazed at what you can write using this format. I look forward to showing you how to do it. 🙂

3. parist20 says:

I NOW LOVE START AND STOP POEM thank you Mrs Murnane!!!!:p

4. mmurnane says:

My pleasure Paris – I love to hear this type of enthusiasm. Hopefully you can use this style of writing again sometime.