RSS Feed

Maths

Independent Investigation

• What is decimal place value?
  • Make a conjecture about any patterns in decimal place value.
  • Test this conjecture.
  • What did you find, explain using concrete, picture and abstract.
  • You might like to use a decimat to explain.  
  • Use your understanding of decimal place value to come up with strategies to solve addition and subtraction of decimals. Create a show me to explain your strategies. 
  • Prove your strategies are correct using concrete, picture and abstract. Test on as many different cases as you can.

Probability SC

Warm Up Questions

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Term 1 2017 Success Criteria

Year 6 Maths Activities

Work through as many activities as you can listed.

1. Where the Wild Things Are- Using the book find the fraction, decimal fraction and percentage of each page in comparison to the area of the whole book to the area of the pictures. Hint: You have to measure the area of the picture (LxW) and compare it to the whole area of the book opened (Lx W).
  2. There are activities photo copied for you to go through. (mild, spicy, hot)
  3.  Continue on with your S.C and complete.
  4. Have a read of the Maths Passion Project and start to think of what you could research.

Maths Passion Project

• Music
  • Sport
  • Science
  • Building/Construction
  • Environment
  • Problem Solving
  • Investigate a mathematics question
  • Travel/ Event Management
  • Working on a goal from previous Success Criteria

For your investigation you need to challenge yourself to include as much mathematics as you can. Area might include; number, chance and data, measurement, algebra.

Criteria

– Partners only

– Create an essential question

-Only 6 maths sessions

Pack up 15 minutes early to share learning.

Weekly Focus 

Everyone can learn maths to the highest levels

Growth Mindset – How do you develop a growth mindset in maths?

article

Fractions, Decimal Fractions and Percentages S.C

Investigation Ideas

• Choose 10 unifix cubes to run a chance experiment. Predict using fractions, decimals and percentage the probability of each colour being chosen. Put them in in a container and do 20 draws, putting back the unifix each time. Record your data and represent using fractions, decimals and percentage. Reflect on the difference between the probability and your actual outcome.
  • Using balsa wood, cardboard etc measure a piece that will be your whole. Then create a range of fractions based on the whole – 1/4, 1/5, 3/8 etc.
  • Calculate the area of the basketball court. Using this information work out the area of 1/2. What would the size of a netball third be?
  • Calculate the volume of the turtle tank. What fraction of the tank is filled with water?
  • Time how long it takes you to run 100m. Using this information work out how long it would take you to run 80m? (Hot) What other information could you obtain from this using fractions, decimals and percentages. Eg compare between two people. I can run 20% faster than you.

Mega Challenge Day Questions

Can you create your own maths problem that your teacher cannot solve?

Birth Year and Month Puzzle- Use all the operations to get an answer from 0 to 100.

Build a structure with newspaper that can hold 500 grams

Create a card game that involves maths operations.

Chess

Get it together Games

‘How I feel about maths’ – Google Form

Term 3 2016

Data and Statistics

Analysing Graphs Workshop

File_001
File_000File_002

Here are some mathematical terminology related to this topic. Find and learn the meanings. Use Maths is fun or a dictionary to learn the terms.

Data and Datam                Statistics                     Qualitative                      Quantitative

Discrete data                      Continuous data                Mean                         Median

Mode                                    Range                         Percentile                          Deviation

Screenshot 2016-07-29 11.12.51

Screenshot 2016-07-29 11.16.56

STUDY LADDER NUMBER DRILLS– Use this link to practise your number knowledge. There are lots of games for you to challenge your learning. 

Goals Success Criteria

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 8.40.41 AM Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 8.40.49 AM Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 8.40.56 AM Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 8.41.03 AM Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 8.41.10 AM Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 8.41.16 AM Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 8.41.21 AM

Term 1 2016!

Operations Success Criteria 

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 8.44.34 AM Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 8.44.44 AMScreen Shot 2016-02-26 at 8.44.59 AM

Week 2-3 Workshops

Mild

Spicy

Hot

Optional Homework/SDL Tasks

1) Choose some quadrilateral objects at home and calculate their perimeter and area.

2) What is the difference in perimeter between the largest and the smallest object?

3) What is the sum of the area of all the objects?

4) 2×4=8 and 4×4=16 and 8×4=32. What is the pattern with these multiplication facts? How can you use this strategy to solve other multiplication facts?

5) Write a worded division problem and show an efficient strategy to solve your problem.

Mental Computation Success Criteria

MILD

To be above Year 5 standard I need to achieve the following in my investigation:

• I can use estimation and rounding to check the reasonableness of answers.
  • I can solve addition and multiplication problems using the distributive law.
  • I can choose an efficient strategy to suit the problem I am solving. For example; double, double and one more etc.
  • I can clearly show my thinking in my workbook.
  • I can show my thinking in a range of ways – visual, worded problems, equation etc.

SPICY

To be above Year 6 standard I need to achieve the following in my investigation:

• I can solve subtraction problems using efficient mental and written strategies.
  • I can solve division problems using efficient mental and written strategies.
  • I can show that I understand the relationships between the four operations.
  • I can identify and describe the properties of prime, composite, square, cubed and triangular numbers.

HOT

To be above Year 7 standard I need to achieve the following in my investigation:

• I can investigate index notation, and represent whole numbers as products of powers of prime numbers.
  • I can apply the associative, distributive and commutative laws to aid mental and written computation.
  • I can compare, order, add and subtract integers.
  • I can calculate the square and cubed roots of perfect square and cubed numbers.
  • I can investigate other mathematical laws for example algebraic laws.

1 Comment »

1. Ella says:

I ran a work shop on renaming numbers
    I learnt my elven times tabes
    I learnt a stratige of not yousing my fingers
    This week I am work on a Nother work shop with niker
    By Ella